Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms


My inspiration for this dish came from the Tomatoes Stuffed with Rice recipe by Giada DE Laurentiis on the Food Network's Everyday Italian. I actually made and posted about, the Tomatoes Stuffed with Rice on Easter and they were awesome.

I figured why not try it with portobello mushrooms. I used the same rice stuffing and just replaced the tomato shell with the portobello. I did still use tomatoes in the rice mixture though.
Also, to make it quick and easy, I used Uncle Ben's Ready Rice (Brown Rice). It takes 90 seconds to cook and the brown rice is much more nutritious than plain white rice. For you sceptics out there, you wouldn't even know it was brown rice because there are so many fresh herbs, cheese and seasonings that give it such a great flavor.

It worked out quite well. Fresh herbs are a must here. Give it a try!

Do you have a recipe that can be changed easily depending on what you have in the fridge?

3 comments:

The Cookbook Junkie said...

Not a particular recipe, but I love using up the odd bits from the fridge. Since I discovered my son loves rice, I keep the Uncle Ben's Whole Grain ready rice on hand and doctor it up with whatever veggies I have at the time. I make pizza every Friday but it's never the same twice - based on what's lying around. I make pasta salads out of 'whatever' too.

Annie said...

I do the same thing with pizza and pasta. It's a great way to use up left overs. Frittata's are another favorite for the same reason!

Anonymous said...

Portobello mushroom are great expecially when they are stuffed.Thank you Annie.Bambola