Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Lactose-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies

Just as yummy as the original!

I made these cookies about a month ago and forgot to post them. They are pretty much a basic cookie recipe just altered a bit to cater to people with a sensitivity to lactose and/or whey.

It was my sister's birthday in August and I made a large batch of Dark Chocolate M & M Cookies for her. I found the recipe at Culinary in the Country. I reserved about a third of the dough, (excluding the Dark Chocolate M & M's) to make these for my brother-in-law who is lactose intolerant.

The reason I forgot to post is that I froze them after baking and forgot all about taking them out on the day of her birthday. So I guess you can say I found a nice treat for myself in the freezer!
I love it when that happens :)

Here is the recipe with the changes I made:

Lactose-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies


3/4 cup Fleischmann's unsalted margarine
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups Sam's Club Chocolate Chips (they contain no milk derivitives)

In a small saucepan, melt margarine over medium-low until it smells very nutty and gets a light golden color. Let cool slightly.

In a large mixing bowl, cream together melted margarine and sugars. Beat in vanilla, egg and egg yolk until the color lightens and is thoroughly mixed.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. Pour dry mixture into the wet and use a large wooden spoon to stir together just until combined. Fold in the Chocolate Chips. Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 2-3 hours.

Preheat oven to 325

Scoop out dough using a 1/4 cup measure and place on parchment lined baking sheets. These spread a little so I only placed 6 per baking sheet. Bake for 15-18 minutes, turning the baking sheet halfway through. The edges should be slightly golden with the center being puffy and a little undercooked. Remove and let cool on the baking sheets for about 5 minutes. Carefully place each cookie on a wire rack to cool completely.
Makes 18-20 large cookies


How Often Do You Make Cookies From Scratch?

5 comments:

LookinginmyRearviewMirror said...

Hi Annie:

I actually make cookies from scratch approximately once or twice a month. I do make "bars" more often, almost once a week as they are so easily made. Putting them together takes the same time as cookies, but the baking time is a cinch when you make bars, for the obvious reasons, you bake them in one pan and then cut them. With cookies you have all the cookie sheets to wash and also all the extra time spent in the kitchen hovering over the oven hoping to get each pan just right.

At least that is my story, I just do better with bars. But from scratch for the most part. Homemade is so much better!

Blessings,

Lue

wheresmymind said...

Last time I made chocolate chip cookays they turned out pretty terrible! lol

Annie said...

Lou, You sound just like my Mom. She is a bar lady too. Hates the whole cookie by spoon thing. Bars are good too but for me, there's nothing like a cookie!

WWM, There's always Nestle Tollhouse ready-to-bake!

The Cookbook Junkie said...

I baked cookies every now and then. I bake a lot of cookies at Christmastime.

funwithyourfood said...

I make cookies from scratch about once a month. well depending on the weather. I definately make more in the winter

teddy