Sunday, March 01, 2009

Banana Chocolate Chip Biscotti

Great Alternative to Banana Bread!

The classic dilemma that every good penny pinching frugal cook faces: What to do with all those over ripe bananas that you bought on sale. Of course banana bread is the first thing to come to mind, but sometimes it's good to challenge the usual way of thinking...

Since cookies are always on my mind, it wasn't a far stretch for me to think; What about Banana Biscotti? So I looked on line and found a recipe from Cooking Light which I changed up a bit. It is a good recipe but I knew it would need some enhancing after reading some of the reviews. The banana extract is essential even after increasing the amount of banana. If you don't have banana extract than I would suggest adding more pure vanilla.

The cookies were really good and actually tasted like you were eating a crunchy version of banana bread. And with only ONE TABLESPOON of oil in the whole recipe there is no need to feel the least bit guilty eating more than one! Good thing for me because the addition of the chocolate chips really make them absolutely addicting!

Note: If you still have ripe bananas left, just peel them, place them in a plastic freezer bag and freeze them. Just take them out of the freezer the night before you plan on using them and thaw them in the fridge. Or you could even keep them frozen and use them for smoothies!

Banana Chocolate Chip Biscotti

adapted from Cooking Light

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1/2 cup natural cane sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
2/3 cup mashed very ripe banana (about 2 bananas)
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 teaspoon banana extract
1 teaspoon vanilla powder or extract
1 large egg
1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
1/3 cup dark chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350°.

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Sift flour into a medium bowl. Combine the flour, baking powder, vanilla powder and salt. Combine banana, oil, sugar, banana and vanilla extracts ( if using), and egg in a medium bowl; stir in flour mixture and pecans (dough will be sticky).

While still in bowl, divide dough in half. Spoon each 1/2 of dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet; shaping each 1/2 of dough into 2 (8-inch-long) rolls with a rubber spatula. Flatten to 1/2-inch thickness.

Bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Remove rolls from baking sheet; cool 10 minutes on a wire rack. Cut each roll diagonally into 12 (1/2-inch) slices. Place slices, upright, on baking sheet. Reduce oven temperature to 300°; bake 30 minutes (cookies will be slightly soft in center but will harden as they cool). Remove from baking sheet; cool completely on wire racks.

15 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Holy yum!!!

Sara said...

What a great idea! I think chocolate and banana are a perfect combination.

Unknown said...

those choc chips look like little coins of heaven :) i made some banana bread biscotti recently, too! love them!

Anonymous said...

these biscotti are different but also very good,thank you Annie,bambola.

Brilynn said...

I'll definitely have to give these a try, I'm curious about a crunchy banana bread, sounds good!
Banana ice cream is also a good way to use up brown bananas...

Jennifer said...

Heck, if we are only using 1 tablespoon of oil, than I can use half-n-hlaf in my coffee with htese instead of milk. YAY!
Annie, any chance you can add a button to follow your feed?

Maria said...

I haven't made biscotti in awhile. I think it is time!

Anonymous said...

Bananas, chocolate together in a crisp "cookie". Can't get much better!

Denise said...

how perfect is this idea. Banana Biscotti, sounds soo delicious.

Jescel said...

excellent idea for biscotti! thanks.

Emily said...

Heyyy, I think I made these before. They were very good! I love banana and chocolate together.

amycaseycooks said...

There is always a stash of black bananas in my freezer. You never know when a banana baking urge will stick.

Banana chocolate chip biscotti and a cup of coffee - ummmm!

Anonymous said...

These were absolutely delicious. I didn't use the banana extract & used extra vanilla and they were so good! I am making more today with the other banana I have here!

Annie said...

Glad you liked them... I really feel like making these again soon.

Mejia Mamma said...

bananas are my weakness...thanks for posting this! very thankful I found this during my "banana choc. chip biscotti" google search tonight, they came out great!!! I can't wait to have them with my a.m. coffee tomorrow, so my husband & I are enjoying them with coffee tonight!