Sunday, March 22, 2009

Peanut Butter Pretzel Blondies

Oooey Gooey Peanut Butter Crunchy Pretzel Goodness!

I don't know about you but I love those peanut butter filled pretzels. I could eat an entire bag in one sitting. My friend JoAnn at work introduced me to them and I never looked back. So when I saw a recipe for Peanut Butter Pretzel Blondies over at Veggie Girl's Blog, I just had to try it!
It was perfect timing too, since it was JoAnn's birthday and I wanted to make her a tasty treat.

I have to say that I have never baked using a gluten-free recipe before since I don't have a problem with gluten. But for anyone who does, Veggie Girl can hook you up with some awesome recipes. I can say this with certainty now because I finally got a chance to try one of her creations!

I was kind of wondering how they would turn out, seeing that I'm used to using eggs and butter in a lot of my baked goods. I did change the recipe a bit since I don't have gluten free flour; I used all purpose flour. Also, I didn't have any peanut butter filled pretzels on hand so I followed Veggie Girl's recommendation to use crushed pretzels and peanut butter. All I can say is "HOLY YUM" to quote Veggie Girl ;) They were absolutely fantastic. The texture of the outside was nice and crisp and the inside was moist and chewy. The crushed up pretzels softened a bit inside the batter, but still provided a little crunch. Plus I added some crushed pretzels to the top for more crunchy texture. JoAnn LOVED them.

Thanks Veggie Girl for your creative and yummy recipe.

And next is JoAnn's taste testing video review of the blondies...
Since she chose to remain anonymous, enjoy the voice review!! haha! :)

Peanut Butter-Pretzel Blondies
Adapted from VeggieGirl's Peanut Butter-Pretzel Blondies

6 ounces (1 single container) Vanilla So Delicious Coconut Milk Yogurt -it's gluten-free, dairy-free and soy-free (Veggie Girl's recommendation)
1/4 cup canola oil
1 cup natural sugar
2 teaspoons Plantation brand of blackstrap molasses (Veggie Girl's recommendation)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup natural peanut butter
1 1/2 cups salted pretzels rods, crushed into small pieces (divided use)

Preheat oven to 350°F .
Line an 8"x8" baking pan with parchment paper or spray with nonstick cooking spray.

Mix together the yogurt, canola oil, sugar, vanilla extract, and molasses in a large bowl.

Add in the flour, baking soda, 1 1/4 cups crushed pretzels and peanut butter. Mix well.

Pour mixture into the prepared pan and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup of crushed pretzels. Press the pretzels gently into the batter.

Bake for about 32-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the blondies comes out clean.

Makes 16 blondies.

11 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Annie, Annie, Annie - this post just made my night!!! You rock :-) And so does JoAnn, haha.

Unknown said...

oooh, i stared at the pb pretzels in the store with this recipe in mind!! but i haven't been to good lately, so i feared buying them would just mean i eat them before putting them into these lovelies :) soon, soon!

Sara said...

What a fun idea to add pretzels! I LOVE peanut butter pretzels, I don't buy them that often because I can't stop eating them when they're in the house :)

Elyse said...

Mmm, these pretzel blondies sound amazing. I love those peanut butter pretzels, too! I can't wait to try out this recipe. They look delicious! So glad JoAnn loved them!

Anonymous said...

This is the first time I heard about peanut butter blondies,they look delicious .After I heard Joanncomment and saw the video I have to try some.Good job Annie,bambola.

Heather said...

Ummm...how could these not be delicious. I am going to have to try them soon!

Emily said...

I love that accent!

These peanut butter pretzel blondies sound terrific. Wow, I'm so impressed!

Laci said...

Sounds fantastic! :)

CookiePie said...

YUM - well, you know I love this combo ;) Your blondies look fantastic!

Jen said...

it just made more
crumbs in the keyboard...

Elliott Broidy said...

They look and sound divine.