Sunday, March 01, 2009

Date Cranberry Orange Crumb Bars

A Good For You and Easy To Make Bar!

Whole Grain Oats and Wheat Germ Crust...

Delicious & Healthy Date Cranberry Fruit Filling...

Simple and Easy to Prepare...

I Highly Recommend It :)

Date Cranberry Orange Crumb Bars
Adapted from Dole®

1 pkg. (8oz) dole chopped dates
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup dried cranberries, divided
1 Tbls. grated orange peel
1 1/2 cups oatmeal
1 1/2 cups AP flour
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. fine sea salt
3/4 cup smart balance buttery spread, melted

Cook dates in water in a small sauce pan for 5 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup cranberries and peel.
Combine oats, flour, wheat germ, sugar, baking soda and salt in bowl. Stir in melted spread until combined.
Press 2/3 of oat mixture onto bottom of 8" or 9" square pan.
Spread date filling over crust. Add remaining cranberries into oat mixture and cover the date filling. Press down firmly with spatula. Bake at 375 ºF for 25 minutes or until light brown.

10 comments:

Emily said...

Oooh nice. Your pictures are great.

These bars look really delicious. You don't have to feel guilty about eating them, which I love. I think we need to give dates a chance. Don't you think? They're goooood.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Those look fantastic! That just might make it on my "to-do" list for later this week. Looks good!

Anonymous said...

Whatever you make looks fantastic one thing is real the flavor of the bars,delicioso.bambola.

Maria said...

the bars look very tasty!!

Sara said...

oh they do look easy and tasty! thanks for sharing.

Crystal said...

Wow, those bars look awesome. I think I have all the ingredients to make them right NOW!

In answer to your smoothie question:

Yep, fresh spinach, frozen blueberries and frozen strawberries (although sometimes I defrost the strawberries just a little before adding to the blender). No ice...I think it makes it more watered down. Hope that helps!

Coleens Recipes said...

We love crumb bars, thanks for the post.

Jennifer said...

I have not tried dates in so very long. I will have to see if the kids will eat this as well. yum. Award for you:
http://savorthethyme.blogspot.com/2009/03/my-first-blog-award.html

Anonymous said...

WOW these look good! I LOOOVE dates and oats and like all these ingredients. They look delicious. I'm so going ot have to make these! :)

James said...

Love the challenge creating something delicios its a great habbit. This is item looking great. I must try.