Sunday, March 22, 2009

Light and Crunchy Pepperoni Pan Pizza

Deep Dish=Delish!
In an effort to keep with my light and healthy theme, I recently adapted a recipe for Pepperoni Pan Pizza from America's Test Kitchen. I know that America's Test Kitchen pain stakingly tests each recipe that they create many times so that we don't have to, but I decided to change it in order to lighten it up a bit.
The technique is all America's Test Kitchen. The ingredients are very similar, only I swapped the pepperoni to turkey pepperoni and used less cheese. I did change a few other things, but for the most part it is basically the same. The result is just what America's Test Kitchen said it would be...A super crispy crust and a tender inside! It was delicious, but don't take my word for it...For a variation add some sliced black olives, as suggested by Amy, one of my taste testers!

Speaking of taste testers, I have added a fun and exiting new dimension to my blog (for this post anyway). Video taste testers. I figured it would give you all the chance to see how light and healthy food can still be delicious. Of course I told my taste testers to remain totally honest and say whatever they think about the food. AND THEY DID. In this post they tasted the lighter version of Pepperoni Pan Pizza for the first time. The first bite they took was on tape, no editing, no prompting, just real time, honest to goodness tasting. Check it out...

Just to fill you in on what happened after the video, my tasters gobbled up 2 more slices of the pizza and raved about how delicious it was. (I should have waited til then to video them, haha). I think by then their rating went to a 9 1/2!
My mom was the third taster and must have told me about 5 times how delicious it was. She will be my video taster in future posts, although she may wear a disguise because she is camera shy (hahaha).

Light and Crunchy Pepperoni Pan Pizza
adapted from America's Test Kitchen

Dough
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 package instant yeast
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
2 teaspoons sugar
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus 6 tablespoons (for pans)
¾ cups + 2 tablespoons skim milk (200 ml)
Topping
48 slices turkey pepperoni
1 1/3 cups tomato sauce (recipe below)
1 2/3 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided equally
Tomato Sauce
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cloves minced garlic
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 26 oz. can kitchen ready tomatoes (or crushed) I used Pastene Kitchen Ready
1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste

Heat oven to 200 degrees or lower. Once the oven reaches 200 degrees, turn it off. Grease a large bowl with olive oil. Add 3 tablespoons of olive oil to each of two non-stick 9-in cake pans; tilt the pans to cover only the bottom with the oil.

For sauce: Add garlic and tablespoon of oil to a cold medium saucepan. Turn on heat to low/simmer and cook for about 5 minutes until garlic is fragrant. Add in tomato paste and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Add in tomatoes, salt and pepper. Stir and cook on medium low heat anywhere from 20 minutes to 1 hour, or until the sauce is thickened. Set aside to cool.

For dough: Add milk to a glass measuring cup and place it in the microwave for around 40 seconds on high. Check temperature with an instant read thermometer. It should be around 100 degrees (but no more than 110º). Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and sugar to the milk.

Add flour, yeast, and salt to stand mixer. Attach dough hook and mix on low speed. Slowly begin to add the milk mixture. Once dough comes together and most of the flour is incorporated, increase speed to medium-low and mix for about about 5 minutes. The dough should be shiny and smooth.

Lightly flour a work surface, kneed the dough 2 to 3 times and shape dough into a ball. Place dough in previously greased bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place it in the warm oven for about 30 minutes. It should be doubled in size. Remove from oven.

Heat oven to 400 degrees.

Transfer dough to lightly floured surface, cut in half and gently shape each half into a ball. With a rolling pin, roll each ball into a 7" round. Gently place dough round onto your fists and move the dough around in a circular motion until each round measures about 9 ½ inches in diameter. The dough should be slightly thinner in the center and thicker around the edges.
Very gently place the rounds into oiled pans, being careful not to get oil on the top. Cover each pan with plastic wrap and set them aside (in a warm place, but not in oven) for about 10-20 minutes.

In the meantime, line a plate with paper towels and place half of the pepperoni in a single layer. Cover the pepperoni with paper towel and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Remove pepperoni, discard paper towels and repeat same process with remaining pepperoni.

Add 2/3 cup sauce on each dough round, being sure to leave a ½ inch border around edges. Add equally divided cheese to each round and top each with 24 slices of pepperoni. Bake for 20-24 minutes or until the edges are browned. Let rest in pans for 1 minute. Using a non-stick spatula, transfer pizzas to cutting board. Slice into 8 pieces and devour.

11 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

CLASSIC!! Although I'm a thin-crust girl myself ;-)

Elyse said...

I am a total sucker when it comes to pizza. I love it sooooo much. I could eat it every night, every meal, really. I can't wait to try this recipe. The pizza looks totally divine!

Emily said...

How in the world is this light? It looks soooo good! Never have I wanted to eat something so much. I've never had turkey pepperoni before. I bet it's delicious.

Love the video!!

Unknown said...

haha, what fun!! and here i was thinking that the last time i tried turkey pepperoni (not on a pizza i don't think) i thought it tasted like real pepperoni :) love that you lightened it up a bit!

Sara said...

This pizza looks delicious, I love that you were able to lighten it up! I make pizza at home all the time, lately I've been using a whole wheat crust

Aggie said...

Oh...that pizza looks fantastic!!! Will definitely be trying this, it looks so good!

Anonymous said...

My mouth is watering just looking at that pizza. I love pizza in any way - manner - or form and yours looks delish!

Maria said...

We love making homemade pizza. Looks tasty!

Anonymous said...

Love America's Test Kitchen and I actually paid $$ to go to www.cooksillustrated.com and www.countrycooks.com because the recipes never fail!

Thanks for sharing - and I like turkey pepperoni too, but I sprinkle in an ounce of chopped regular pepperoni to help with the flavor.

Turns out I make homemade pizza EVERY Friday night at my house! :D

Artfully Yours said...

Mmm-M! Looks so good! My fam is up for pizza anytime! Annie, is this recipe in any issue, by chance?

Anonymous said...

This home made pizza not only looks delicious ,this pizza is my favorite thank you Annie,I loved the video too,I give you a 10.Bambola.