So I don't fight it anymore, I just make them and watch 'em go! I wanted to give the recipe a little twist however by adding a little surprise in the center instead of the kiss on the top.
So I filled each cookie with Nutella! (Chocolate hazelnut spread for those of you who have not had the pleasure.) All I can say is... They rock.
Peanut Butter Blossom Surprises
- Nutella Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Granulated sugar
1. Heat oven to 375°F.
2. Beat shortening and peanut butter in large bowl until well blended. Add 1/3 cup granulated sugar and brown sugar; beat until fluffy. Add egg, milk and vanilla; beat well. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into peanut butter mixture.
3. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Once shaped, press your finger in the middle of the cookie to form a small opening. Add a 1/2 teaspoon of Nutella into the opening. Close the opening by pressing the dough back together and reshape into a ball. Roll in granulated sugar; place on ungreased cookie sheet.
4. Bake 7 to 9 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely. About 4 dozen cookies.