Sunday, February 10, 2008

Mediterranean Grilled Chicken Kabobs

I Suck At Grilling.

I think it's official, I'm getting old. Why do I think I am old? Well, I think my metabolism has gone on strike. It's February, a whole month has gone by since Christmas and I'm still trying to fit into my favorite pair of pants. These pants fit fine all year long until I pigged out during the Holidays and I can't seem to lose a few lousy pounds. Scratch that, I can lose a few pounds if I exercise everyday for an hour and not eat anything "good" for a week and a half. But as soon as I indulge a bit, the few pounds I'd lost - find there way back, and fast.

So what's a hungry girl to do? I love my sweets and munchies. In fact, after putting the few pounds I'd lost this week, right back on after this weekend, I said frig it. And I just ate a delicious frosted brownie, trail mix and pretzel nuggets. I felt like I was punishing my metabolism for being "bad"! Stupid, huh? Now I just feel worse. I guess it's back to the drawing board.
.. ... .. ... .. ... .. ... .. ... .. ... .. ... .. ... .. ... .. ... ..

I love the way grilled food looks with it's beautiful charred markings. I love the way grilled food tastes with that deep smoky flavor. I love the idea of grilling, it just seems so fun. But I suck at grilling. I always tend to overcook the outside of the meat and under cook the inside. Even giving it extra time than the recipe suggests will result in a pink center. It is very frustrating.

Maybe it's because I am using an indoor grill pan on my electric stove top. I still have trouble with that electric stove top (I've always used gas stoves in the past). It seems like high heat is always too high and medium is not hot enough. It's hard to find that happy middle ground.
The only thing I like about it is that is easy to clean because it's all one piece. And it looks sexier than the gas top stoves. But in this case I'll take function over fashion any day.

Nevertheless, if cooked properly it was a really tasty dish. So give it a try and I'm sure yours will turn out better than mine did.

Mediterranean Grilled Chicken Kabobs


1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
8 (10-inch) skewers, soaked in water for at least 20 minutes
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, minced, pressed, or zested on microplane
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 cup grape tomatoes
2 small zucchinis, peeled leaving stripes, cut in 3/4" rounds
Cooking spray
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Whisk together the oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, pepper and salt. Add the chicken to the marinade and toss to coat. Marinate the chicken for 20 minutes or up to 2 hours.

Add 4 pieces of the chicken, 4 grape tomatoes, and 8 zucchini rounds onto the skewers, alternating them any way you like. Spray a grill pan with cooking spray and preheat over a medium-high heat. Grill the chicken until cooked through, about 4 to 5 minutes per side. Sprinkle with parsley and serve over rice, or barley pilaf.


7 comments:

Kim said...

I totally agree--electric cooktops SUCK. I had one in my first apartment, and I burned everything. No heat regulation whatsoever. YUCK.

A tip for your kabobs: put all the veggies on one skewer, and all the meat on another. It's not as pretty, but everything will cook more evenly. The veggies won't turn to mush before the meat is done cooking.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

It is a great recipe I've tryed is very good.I think by cooking the veggie alone and the meat separate sounds a good idea.bambola

Jen said...

those look good!

Emily said...

I love kabobs! I think they look good.
I'm sorry they didn't live up to your expectations. I think you're too hard on yourself. I'm like that, too.
I've undercooked meat a time-or-two in my life. Heh, heh.

You can lose those pounds, I know you can. I seriously felt pretty good about myself before Christmas. Now it's different though.
I have some definite love handles.
Probably from eating CAKE and DOUGHNUTS. Ugh.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I've always had trouble with electric stoves too. I have a grill pan I use on a gas stove now which I like better, but there's nothing like a real grill. I don't think it's you, I think it's the stove. :) BTW- Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such nice comments. Where in RI are you? I grew up in North Providence.

Annie said...

Kim, that's a great idea. You know I've heard of doing that before but it just didn't occur to me at the time. Thanks!

Bambola, It is tasty and I will do that next time.

Jen, thanks bud.

Em, Yeah I'm doing better lately. I just have to cut out overindulging on the sweets, just like you I love cake and cookies.

Susan, I hate the electric stove top. Thanks for the encouragement!

Elliott Broidy said...

Not a fan of grilling neither! These look wonderful, though.