Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Jaswell Farms Chocolate Chip Cookies

In Honor of Fat Tuesday!


I had made these cookies once before and really liked them. This Christmas I decided to make a double batch so I could give them out as gifts. The recipe is quite large to begin with, so a double batch was a little hard to work with. I managed however.

Actually I made so much of this cookie dough that I wrapped up a log of raw dough and froze it. I took it out tonight and baked up a batch in honor of FAT TUESDAY! I did my share of indulging, so much so that tomorrow for me it's FAT PANTS WEDNESDAY...

The only thing that I would change in this recipe is the addition of vanilla. I forgot to add it to mine and I did notice it missing. That's because I love vanilla and wouldn't normally make a cookie without.

Jaswell Farms Chocolate Chip Cookies1 2/3 cups sugar
3 1/2 cups flour
2/3 cups margarine
1/3 cup oil
2 teaspoons vanilla (my addition)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 tablespoon molasses
2 eggs
2 cups milk chocolate chunks (I used chips)
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional, I didn't use any nuts)

Beat together margarine, sugar, and oil until fluffy. Beat in eggs and molasses, then add flour and baking soda. Mix in milk chocolate chunks and nuts. Scoop cookie dough onto greased cookie sheet (I used parchment paper). Flatten each scoop of dough and bake.

Jaswell Farm makes big cookies, using two ounces of dough per scoop. You might want to use just a tablespoon for each.
(That's what I did)

They bake the large cookies at 325 degrees in a convection oven for 20 minutes.
For conventional ovens and a tablespoon of dough, cook at 350 degrees and start to check for doneness after 8 minutes. (I cooked my tablespoons of dough at 325 in a convection oven for 8 minutes). They were chewy in the center and crisp on the outside, just the way I like!

3 comments:

Sara said...

Lately every day is Fat Pants day for me......

Emily said...

These look perfect. I like to put lots of vanilla in baked goods, too.

I'm going to be celebrating Fat Pants Wednesday, tomorrow, as well.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

As in the apple orchards Jaswell Farms? OMG, if it is, I'm getting wickit nostalgic. It was the place my parents took us to every year when I was a kid, and on Thanksgiving morning, my dad and i always went there for 2 gallons of their apple cider.