Monday, January 15, 2007

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Biscotti

Here is the recipe you've been waiting for...

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Biscotti

1 cup butter
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar (I think I used only 1/4 cup)
1 teaspoon vanilla (I always put a little extra)
2 large eggs
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 cups quick oatmeal (I have used regular oatmeal with good results)
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
3/4 cups chopped toasted walnuts - optional (I always add them for myself, but omit them for gifts in case of unknown allergies)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix together butter, sugars, vanilla and eggs. Fold mixture in with flour and baking powder. Mix in oats, chips and nuts.

Onto a parchment lined baking sheet, spoon out mixture to form 2 logs the length of the sheet. Leave enough space in between each log, since they will spread while cooking.
For smaller cookies use 2 baking sheets and form 4 logs.

Bake for about 2o minutes, so that when you touch the tops they are firm and lightly brown. Remove from the oven and cool 10 minutes.

Slice logs diagonally and place on sides on the baking sheet. Put biscotti back in the oven and bake for another 5 to 10 minutes depending on how crisp you like your biscotti. (I only leave them for 5 minutes). Cool and store in an airtight container.

To decorate: Just melt some semi-sweet chocolate chips and some white chocolate chips in the microwave, separately. Dip a spoon in the melted chocolate and drizzle over the cookie tops. I actually use squeeze containers because it makes it so easy to drizzle. While the chocolate is still wet, shake on some candy sprinkles.


If you like chocolate chips cookies, you will love these biscotti. And the great thing about biscotti, is that they last for up to 3 weeks in an airtight container. Although, they never last that long in my house.
So get the baking sheets back out and give yourself or someone you love a treat!!
Try 'em, you'll love 'em!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks good! Next time I get to make biscotti, I'll have to try these. Glad to see you back.

Anonymous said...

That looks wonderful, Annie. I will have to add it to my rapidly-growing "must make" list.

Not Just Apples said...

These look divine! I love the toppings especially!