Here is the classic biscotti... It is so good, you won't be able to eat just one!
(recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour)
1 1/3 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoon butter/margarine
1 (1 ounce) bottle (equals 2 tablespoons) Almond Extract
2 1/4 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 egg plus 1 tsp water ( beaten together for egg wash)
3 giant chocolate candy bars (1 dark,1 milk, 1 white)
optional: 1 cup almonds (bake 10 minutes,chop and add to dough)
PREHEAT OVEN TO 325 degrees.
1. Combine the sugar, baking powder, and margarine.
2. Blend in the entire bottle of extract.
3. Add the eggs and then the flour, one cup at a time.
Note: Remember that flour is a bit like a sponge. It absorbs whatever moisture is in the air
around it. So, on a humid day you’ll have a wetter flour. As a result, you’ll need to add
more to your dough or batter to absorb the moisture in it. But always start with a lesser
amount. It’s easy to add flour to a dough or batter but once it‘s in there you can’t get it out.
4. Spoon the dough onto a parchment lined cookie sheet to form two logs 1 1/2 inches wide by 1 inch high.
5. Brush logs with egg wash and bake for 20 minutes.
6. Remove them from the oven and cuts logs diagonally into slices 1 inch thick to produce cookies. Turn each on its side and re-bake at the same temperature for 10 to 15 minutes.
7. Melt chocolate and put each in squeeze bottles. Spread a layer of melted milk chocolate on half of the cookies and spread a layer of dark chocolate on the rest. Drizzle tops with white chocolate and sprinkle with colored sugar.
This is a no fail recipe and everyone loves these biscotti. They are so easy to make, so give them a try-you will not be disappointed!