Monday, August 28, 2006

Lady Finger Cake with Chocolate-Espresso Frosting

Lady Finger Cake For a True Lady

For my Mom's birthday I kept it pretty simple. Since everyone decided to do their own thing with Mom, there was no need for a big cake. I thought about making a flourless chocolate cake, because my Mom loves her chocolate. With so many things going on lately, it just did'nt happen.
It is however, definately on my to-bake list.

You are not going to believe this, but my Mom actually made part of her own cake. About a month ago she brought over a tightly wrapped single layer of cake and told me to put it in the freezer. I honestly did'nt pay much attention to this because she does stuff like that all the time. So I did as she said and forgot about it.

She is always baking something and has lots of extras. So many times, she'll give it to me and tell me to save it for an "Emergency". And believe me, in my family we take our desserts seriously and when there is no time for baking, the "Emergency" extras come out.
Since I have been too busy to bake lately, my Mom's birthday qualified as a real "Emergency".

The cake is made up of a single layer of German Chocolate cake cut horizontally to make two thin layers and filled with an adapted version of Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Frosting. A simple addition of 2 tablespoons of instant Espresso made it even more chocolately and decadent. The Espresso flavor really came through and perfectly complemented the chocolate.

I wanted to be creative with the decorating of the cake, but was stumped as to how. Until I remembered that I had Lady Fingers in my pantry closet. A thin layer of the Espresso-Chocolate frosting topped each cookie and was a fitting cake topper for a perfect lady on her birthday!

Do You Keep Foods or Desserts in the Freezer for Emergencies?

6 comments:

wheresmymind said...

Nah...I just like to live on the edge..no squirrelin' away food for me!

Unknown said...

Not really. I don't have room! I keep frozen veggies, chicken, and fish in the freezer. That's about all I have room for.

The Cookbook Junkie said...

You could have cut the lady fingers in half and circled the cake with them too. Then you could have added a 'Happy Birthday, Mom!' in the center.

I only keep a few cupcakes in the freezer in case any of the kid's in Nick's class are bringing in 'unsafe' cupcakes for a birthday.

Anonymous said...

I always have a few things for emergency either for myself or to give,someone mantion no room.Well I do because I have two freezers.I'm always ready for company.

funwithyourfood said...

I have a confession...
I have girl scout cookies in my freezer all year round. that's how many I buy while I can!
hahaha

That's pretty much the only dessert I keep in the freezer- aside from ice cream

funwithyourfood said...

oh I forgot to say that I the coffee espresso combination is one of my favorite for desserts. the only one above it would be fruit and chocolate

mm
yum


teddy