Sunday, April 29, 2007

Butter Cookies

Christmas Cookies in May? Sure, Why Not...

I love making cookies and freezing some of them. Sometimes I forget about cookies that I had made and froze, then when I'm foraging through my freezer, I find a sweet surprise!

These butter cookies are just that. I made these 2 days before Christmas and had a few extra, so I wrapped them really well and froze them. I forgot about them until the other day when I was looking for something else in the freezer. After almost 5 months in the freezer, they still tasted fabulous. I love that!

Since I never posted them during the holidays, I figured now is as good a time as ever.

Butter Cookies/ Thumbprint Cookies

3/4 cups unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
Confectioners sugar

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease cookie sheets.
2. Cream butter.
3. Add eggs, sugar and vanilla. Mix well.
4. Add sifted dry ingredients. Stir until well blended.
5. Roll tablespoons of dough into palm of hand until round. Place on parchment lined cookie sheet about 1 inch apart.
6. Bake at 400 degrees switching position of sheets halfway through baking, until bottoms are browned, about 10-12 minutes total.
7. Let cool and roll in confectioners sugar.

*Store cookies in an airtight container, layered between sheets of waxed paper or parchment, at room temperature for upto 1 week.
They also freeze really well. Wrap in foil and place in freezer bag for upto 4 months.

This cookie dough recipe can also be used to make
Thumb Print Cookies
Use the same dough as above.
In step 5 make an indentation with your thumb or the back of a 1/2 teaspoon.
Place 2 almond slices on the top of the cookie on the side of the indentation.
Bake same as above.
Let cool and add 1/2 teaspoon raspberry jam in the indentation.
Mix a tablespoon of confectioners sugar and about 1 teaspoon water in a small bowl. Coat the top of the cookies with confectioners sugar glaze.

2 comments:

Deborah Eley De Bono said...

I love to find little surprises like that--like finding a crumpled up dollar in an old pair of jeans.

Now you know for sure they store well in the freezer.

Anonymous said...

I'm not to much on sugar cookies but these are remarcable good,bamnola