Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Another Unexpected Great Taste!

Super Tangy-Super Good!

This is another recipe I have been eyeing and finally decided to make. I very rarely cook butternut squash because the thought of mashed and mushy orange stuff on my plate just doesn't do it for me.

When I saw this recipe I just had a feeling it would be good. The butternut squash is roasted which naturally appealed to me, since I tend to roast most of my veggies. But the marinade is what changed the dish from good to super good!

The only mistake I made was to serve it with escarole chicken and a mushroom balsamic cream sauce (I will post this recipe soon). The flavors just didn't go together. I would suggest serving this with roasted chicken or pork or any entree that needs a little lift, because this recipe will definately give your taste buds a wake up call!!

Marinated Butternut Squash
recipe by GE Profile (go figure?)

2 butternut squash, 1-inch slices (I used one package of pre-cut butternut squash)
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 medium red onion, sliced paper thin (I used 1 large shallot, sliced paper thin)
1/2 teaspoon red chile flakes (I omitted this)
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 clove garlic, sliced paper thin
1/4 cup fresh mint leaves (I used fresh parsely)
Extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper


1. Pre-Heat oven to 450 degrees. Season squash with salt and pepper, drizzle with 4 tablespoons olive oil, place on cookie sheet. (I lined mine with foil for easy clean-up).
2. Bake in oven until tender, about 18-20 minutes.
3. While squash is baking, stir together 4 tablespoons olive oil, vinegar, onion, chile flakes, oregano, garlic and season with salt and pepper.
4. Remove squash from oven and pour marinade over squash. Allow to cool for 20 mins., sprinkle with mint leaves and serve.
Serves 8


Chef Tip: This dish can be made earlier in the day but should not be refrigerated.
(I had leftovers, so I had to refrigerate it. The next day I took it out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature. It was fine.)

No comments: