Sunday, July 27, 2008

Three Bean Salad

Sweet, Tangy and a Little Squeaky!

I love fresh green beans and I'm always on the lookout for a new way to prepare them. Although this recipe is not a new concept, it's new for me. I have never made three bean salad, nor have I ever even eaten a homemade version. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I've only had the one that comes in a jar. I don't buy it too often because it's not very nutritious and has way too many chemicals.
Have you ever noticed that the beans in this type of salad become squeaky when you bite into them? I wonder what makes this happen. It doesn't bother me, as a matter of fact it kind of adds to the playfulness of this recipe. Since it is sweet and a little tangy, so why not squeaky!

Three Bean Salad

Adapted from Cook's Illustrated

1 cup red wine vinegar
3/4 cup organic cane sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
2 medium cloves garlic, grated on microplane or pressed through a garlic press
1 teaspoon sea salt
Ground black pepper
8 ounces green beans, cut into 1-inch-long pieces
8 ounces yellow wax beans, cut into 1-inch-long pieces
1 (16-ounce) can red kidney beans , rinsed and drained
1 medium/large shallot, chopped medium dice
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley leaves

1. Heat vinegar, sugar, oil, garlic, salt, and pepper to taste in small nonreactive saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large nonreactive bowl and cool to room temperature.
2. Steam green and yellow beans in water with 1 tablespoon salt added to it; cook until crisp-tender, about 7 minutes. Meanwhile, fill medium bowl with ice water. When beans are done, immediately plunge into ice water to stop cooking process; let sit until chilled, about 2 minutes. Drain well.
3. Add green and yellow beans, kidney beans, shallot, and parsley to vinegar mixture; toss well to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight to let flavors meld. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before serving. (Salad can be covered and refrigerated up to 4 days.)

9 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I LOVE bean salads - so filling and delectable!!

Emily said...

I've never had a bean salad! Ever.
Is that weird?

But I want one. It sounds fun.

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

This looks so good. I love sweet and tangy and will have to try this!

Anonymous said...

They do become squeaky! Now I wonder why too... lol.

Looks like a healthy and yummy salad!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Growing up, my mom always made 3 bean salad for cookouts. And you're so right, it was squeaky good.:)

Crystal said...

You are too funny - I was sitting here at lunch eating a bean soup and thinking about the squeakiness and read your post. Almost lost the soup due to laughing!

-Crystal

Annie said...

Veggiegirl,
I agree they are filling and delectable!!

Emiline, You have to try this salad. I think you would love it. Especially because it's sweet!

Lisa, Do try it, and the kids will love it too!

Ari, I really have to figure this out. I'll do some research. Hahaha.

Susan, This salad does belong at a picnic or cookout, it just goes great with all the grilled stuff!

Crystal, I'm glad I made you laugh but don't waste good soup on account of me ;)

Sara said...

wow this sounds good. i love beans.

Aggie said...

I love this salad and have been craving it all summer. I have never made it myself and am so excited to have found this recipe!