Wednesday, April 18, 2007

A Different Kind of Garlic Bread

Toasted Bread-How could you go wrong?
Besides from burning the bread that is.


I came very close to ruining this recipe by doing just that. Instead of grilling the bread, which is what the recipe says, I toasted mine in the oven on a baking sheet. That was fine, but the bread wasn't getting brown, so I put it under the broiler and set the timer for 3 minutes. Bad move. Just before the timer went off I started to smell something burning and pulled them out in the nick of time. Whew! That was close.

Anyway, the bruschetta turned out great. Contrary to some of the reviews on the recipe, I thought it could use a little more lemon flavor. If I make it again, I would probably add a little lemon zest with the parsley. But use your own judgment!

Lemon Parsley Bruschetta
by Giada DiLaurentiis

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (I used half a lemon)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 (3 1/2 by 1/2-inch-thick) slices rustic white bread, halved (I used a baguette)
1 large garlic clove
1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves


Whisk the olive oil and lemon juice in a small bowl to blend. Season with salt. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill the bread until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. (I toasted the bread in a 350 degree oven for about 8 minutes and then browned the top under the broiler for about 2 1/2 minutes, be careful!)

Rub the cut sides of the toasts with the garlic. Generously brush the lemon mixture over the bread. Sprinkle with the parsley. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

1 comment:

Sara said...

mmmmm, that sounds really great! I like the idea of lemon and garlic bread!