Monday, August 13, 2007

Squash Slaw

A great way to use up extra zucchini and summer squash

I knew I would be making turkey burgers (I'll post them next) this weekend and I was trying to think of a side dish to go with them. Since I had a couple of zucchini and summer squash in the fridge, I thought about making a slaw with them. I had an idea of how I would make it but wanted to browse the internet for ideas. I found a recipe online that sounded really close to what I was going to do and used it as a guide for the measurements.

My revised recipe:

Squash Slaw


2 yellow summer squash
2 zucchini
1 sweet red pepper
1 celery stalk
1 small garlic clove, grated fine (or pressed/minced)
3 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon "It's a Dilly" by McCormick, or just use dill weed
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon pepper

Shred summer squash and zucchini. Finely chop celery and thinly julienne red pepper. Place in a strainer over a bowl for about 10 minutes. Press down on mixture to release excess juice.
Combine all ingredients and stir. Cover and refrigerate before serving to allow flavors to blend. Serve with slotted spoon.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Never heard of this but IT LOOKS GREAT!!!! Yum!

Annie said...

Claire, I had never heard of it either but it seemed like a good idea -I actually thought I was the first to come up with it until I found it online!