Thursday, August 17, 2006

Mom's Old-World Raspberry/Apricot Bars

Apricot Bars From Mom with Love

My mom makes these bars at least once a month and they are one of my favorites. Sometimes they are Apricot filled and other times Raspberry filled. I like them both, but the Apricot bars seem to have a slight edge.

She has been baking them for years and I have never asked for the recipe or made them myself. There's no need, since she always makes them for me! Somehow, I don't think I could even do them justice because there's one secret ingredient only Mom can add. LOVE!

I did, however, want to post the recipe for all of you to try. So I asked her to send me an email with the recipe. Here it is...

Mom's Old-World Raspberry/Apricot Bars

(Adapted from Land-O-Lakes)

2 cups flour
1/2 cup Quick-cook Oatmeal
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts)
2 sticks (1 cup) butter or margerine, softened
1 egg
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. either almond or vanilla extract
10 oz jar of your favorite preserves (I used Apricot, but often use Raspberry as well)

Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
In a large mixing bowl combine all the ingredients, except the preserves. Beat at low speed until well mixed, 2 or 3 minutes. Reserve 1 1/2 cups and set aside.

Press the mixture on bottom of 8 inch baking pan. Spread preserves within 1/2 inch from edge. Crumble reserve mixture over preserves. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes.

Note: I usually make 1 and 1/2 recipe, which means I put an extra 1/2 recipe with it and use a larger baking pan (usually a cookie sheet). I don’t crumble the mixture on the top, instead, roll the reserved mixture the length of the cookie sheet between 2 sheets of wax paper. I remove the wax paper from one side and carefully place it on top of the preserves and then remove the other piece. Viola, it's covered.
Good luck, if you need more information let me know. Ciao, buona notte esogni d'oro. Ciao Bella. Love, Mom.

Does your Mom or anyone else make a recipe that's special to you?

16 comments:

maltese parakeet said...

my mom (pb etouffee's mooncrazy) makes the best fried chicken. Check it out!

Anonymous said...

These look delicious! My mother, grandmother, and great aunt made so many things special to me that I wouldn't know where to start. But thanks for making me thinkof them this morning!

Artfully Yours said...

Oh Annie, I am all over these! Can't wait to make 'em. Thanks for the recipe. I am going to start taking contributions to the "Kim's larger pants" fund soon!!

Unknown said...

Mmm...this looks really good. I don't know what I would consider special recipes. I guess my grandmother's corn bread. She made it in the corn stick molds. I got these when she died because I remembered that specifically. My mom's chocolate chip pound cake is good too. It's the only Chocolate cake I like. OH, I know a good one. The mexican salad I posted about earlier...that will always be special.

Anonymous said...

My mother used to make these bars also, and I remember that the apricot was my favorite too, with raspberry being a close second (had to be seedless tho, which is why it was made less frequently). I loved them growing up.

Mom also made us individual pumpkin or zucchini bread loaves by baking them in wide-mouthed mason jars. I'll have to ask her if there were any special instructions (I think she may have baked them in a water bath, not sure)

Last thing I remember fondly. My mom used to save yogurt containers, clean them out, then use them when she made jello for us. When we came home from school we had individually sized jello servings for snacks (bigger than the cups you can get in the store). At the time, the cups came with lids and foil, I don't think they do anymore.

I'm just remembering this now.... thank you for tripping the memory for me!

wheresmymind said...

Those look so good...almost like the Peach Newtons I saw on Foodnetwork challenge last night..YUM

Anonymous said...

When I got this recipe long time ago it was done only with raspberri,I initiated the Apricot version for different reason but I'm glad you like.Ciao

The Cookbook Junkie said...

Everything my mom makes is special. She's not a great cook but she's my mommy.

Artfully Yours said...

Annie! Is there really NO sugar in these bars? I wanted to make sure b4 I made them....Lemme know asap as my mouth is watering (:
Kim

Annie said...

maltese parakeet, Thanks for the link. It looks real good, although I don't fry much. But if I ever feel like fried chicken, I know where to get the BEST recipe!

Jennifer, So weird. I was just looking at the delicious waffles and brownies on your blog and here you are. I'm glad I reminded you about your family. I think cooking brings so many great memories!!

Bryanne, Seedless all the way! The mason jar thing sounds interesting. Let me know more when you find out.
Btw, my mom also cleans out yogurt containers and fills them with goodies. In her case, it's usually grapenut pudding.
Are you sure were not sisters????

WWM, I missed that one. Sounds good though.

Paula, Awww. How sweet. I feel the same way about my mom.

Kim, Sorry about the post, I was missing 3/4 cup of sugar. The original recipe calls for 1 cup but my mom usually reduces it to 1/2 to 3/4 cup. I hope I caught you in time.
Thanks for letting me know, I fixed the post, too!

Sexy Lexi said...

My mama is incredible...eggplant parm, homestyle chicken noodle soup, her warm italian pasta salad. OMIGOD, now I'm craving some goodness!

Artfully Yours said...

Annie, I just had to tell you that I DID make them, couldn't wait but me and Lily decided to put 1/2 cup sugar in them!! Whew, glad we were pretty much right on! They are delish!!
Tell your Moms thanks!
Kim

Annie said...

Claire, Corn stick molds? I never heard of this. I wish I did'nt like chocolate cake. Maybe I would'nt eat as much. The mexican salad did sound great!

Lexi, YUM! Will your mom adopt me? (Just kiddin Mom)

Kim, Wow you're quick. I'm glad you put sugar in it. I would have felt really bad if you made them without it and they came out bad. :)

Crystal said...

That would be a great way to use up our old jellies and stuff. Great idea.

Sorry, I've been MIA for awhile...losing my job and need to find another one ASAP so any internet time is spent job hunting and e-mailing.

Hmmm...my mom really doesn't cook much anymore. But, I'd have to say Stuffed Peppers was my favorite dish of hers.

-Crystal

Unknown said...

I'll have to take a picture of the molds. It's a cast iron pan with the shape of a "corn stick."

Annie said...

Crystal, It is great for using up old jellies. I'm sorry to hear about you losing your job. Good luck finding a new one, maybe it will be an even better opportunity.
Btw, I love my mom's stuffed peppers too!

Claire, That sounds interesting. The picture will definately help me understand the concept.