Sunday, December 12, 2010

Banana Pecan Biscotti

This is a great recipe for the holidays. It reminds me of banana bread when it is baking in the oven, which always makes me feel like I am home with mom. I added a little maple flavoring to the recipe because whenever my mom made banana bread when I was living at home, she would always make a maple glaze to put over the top. It was the best part of the bread. In this case though, I opted for a dark chocolate drizzle for the top. Who wouldn't love that?

I adapted a cooking light recipe to create a delicious holiday biscotti perfect for gift giving. I just sent these and gingerbread biscotti to my brother who lives out of state. I will post the gingerbread recipe soon.

Banana Pecan Biscotti
adapted from Cooking Light

Ingredients
  • 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2/3 cup mashed very ripe banana (about 2 bananas)
  • 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil (or canola)
  • 1 teaspoon molasses (optional)
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon maple flavor extract
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
  • Cooking spray
  • Dark chocolate chips, melted (optional)
  • Preheat oven to 350°.

    Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Combine banana, oil, vanilla, maple, molasses and egg in a medium bowl; stir in flour mixture and pecans (dough will be sticky).

    With a dough scraper or spatula divide dough into 4 parts. Scoop dough onto parchment lined baking sheets; shaping dough into 4 (8-inch-long) rolls with wet hands. Flatten to 1/2-inch thickness.

    Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes. Remove rolls from baking sheet; cool 10 minutes on a wire rack. Cut each roll diagonally into 12 (1/2-inch) slices. Place slices, cut sides down, on baking sheet. Reduce oven temperature to 250°; bake 12 minutes. Turn cookies over; bake an additional 12 minutes (cookies will be slightly soft in center but will harden as they cool). Remove from baking sheet; cool completely on wire racks.

    Drizzle with dark chocolate if desired.

    3 comments:

    Angie said...

    Happy holidays to all your blog readers!

    Jersey Girl Cooks said...

    I love this biscotti recipe. I haven't made in a while but now you reminded me to do so!

    Talita said...

    Wow! Mouth watering! I always wanted to bake biscotti. But in the only try that I made, I just baked one time. =)