Sunday, March 09, 2008

Apple Cinnamon Butterscotch Muffins

More Boxed Muffins...With a Special Touch!


Looking through my cabinets lately has been so exasperating. I can't believe how many boxed baking mixes I have. I am kind of addicted to buying them. The weird thing is I really like to bake from scratch, but I forget about that when I see those pretty boxes with all the beautiful pictures of delicious baked goodies on the front cover. Whether it's muffins, brownies, cakes, cookies, you name it, I've got them in my cabinets.

It's a little frustrating because I have so many homemade recipes that I want to make, but I don't want these mixes to get too old, so I have to use them up. So be prepared for lots of "semi-homemade" posts.

I did jazz these muffins up. Because they are organic, I figured that they would need a little extra something, something to make them even better. I added toasted walnuts for some crunch, organic apple sauce, and organic cinnamon and butterscotch chips for a little sweet surprise. I thought it would be a good flavor combination with the apple cinnamon. I was right! YUM. The butterscotch chips kind of give a caramel flavor to the muffins.

*Note: If you prefer a low-fat muffin omit the butterscotch chips and reduce the walnuts to 1/4 cup.

Apple Cinnamon Butterscotch Muffins

1 box Dr. Oetker Apple Cinnamon Muffin Mix
1 cup milk, minus 2 tablespoons
1 large egg white
1/4 cup applesauce
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup toasted chopped walnuts
1/4 cup butterscotch chips

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. for shiny metal pan, 425 degrees F. for dark non-stick pans.
Spray bottom of muffin pan or use paper muffin cups.

Blend milk, egg white, oil, applesauce and cinnamon in a bowl. Stir in muffin mix and stir until just blended.

Add in most of the walnuts and butterscotch chips, reserving a small amount.
Spoon batter evenly between 12 muffins cups (about 3/4 full). Add the rest of the walnuts and butterscotch chips to the tops of the muffins.

Place muffins in oven and reduce oven temperature by 25 degrees. If using a convection oven, reduce temperature by 50 degrees. Bake for about 14 minutes turning pan half way through cooking.

Cool muffins in pan for 5 minutes. Remove to cooling rack.
Makes 12 muffins

3 comments:

Emily said...

You keep tempting me with your muffins.
Use those mixes up. You don't want to waste your money.
Apple and butterscotch sounds delicious. Love that combo. I've never tried it before, but I love it.

Jen said...

i like butterscotch chips

Kim said...

Just combine any boxed cake or muffin mix with a can of pure pumpkin and bake as directed. Low fat and good for you too!