Sunday, January 20, 2008

Salad. Assembly Required.

Don't Cook...Just Assemble.

So you can't cook. Don't worry, there's always salad. Salad is the perfect answer to any cooking dilemma. It can be a first course, the perfect lunch or a light dinner. I love it for all three.

I make all kinds of salads. Some are simple chef salads, others might include leftover cooked chicken or meats with cheese, some have beans, tomatoes and crutons, others highlight fruit and nuts and some have a little bit of everything.

The photo above was my dinner the other night. I call it Kitchen Sink Salad. It basically has everything but the kitchen sink. It is rarely made with the same ingredients because I just use whatever I have in the fridge. So play around with what ever you have in your fridge and you will find that building the perfect salad is really easy.

Kitchen Sink Salad
by Mixed Salad Annie -Serves two

Use your favorite ingredients or whatever is in your refrigerator.

6 large Lettuce Leaves, torn into bite size pieces (I used Romaine)
1 Fruit, cut in cubes (I used a Brabern Apple)
2 tablespoons Dried Fruit (I used Cranberries)
1/4 cup Raw Vegetable, chopped or julienned (I used Julienned Carrots)
2 tablespoons Cheese, diced or shredded (I used shredded reduced fat Sharp Cheddar)
2 tablespoons Nuts, chopped (I used Walnuts)
1/4 cup cooked Steak, Chicken or whatever protein, chopped (I used Sliced Turkey)
Fresh herbs, optional (I used flat leaf parsley and basil)
Dressing (I made my own, see below)

Add all ingredients to a bowl. Add dressing and toss coat all ingredients. Enjoy your creation!

My Favorite Salad Dressing
by Mixed Salad Annie - Four Servings

1/8 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/4 cup Bragg organic raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar (See health benefits)
20 dashes or about 1/2 teaspoon McCormick's Salt Free It's A Dilly Seasoning

Whisk all ingredients in a small bowl and add to your favorite salad.

6 comments:

cube said...

Yum. The dressing sounds like it would also work well with balsamic vinegar.

Annie said...

Cube, Yes definately, balsamic would be great too!

Unknown said...

Mmmmmmmmm...I love salads for lunch! Apples are my favorite winter fruit to add.

Annie said...

Claire, I've been on a salad lunch kick for a few months now. I'm surprised that I'm not sick of them yet. I love apples in my salad too, and pears are my favorite.

Jen said...

it smells so good

AND

it tastes good too

Anonymous said...

That is quite a title and your idea is great,eating healthy at the same time using what you have around the house.bambola