Sunday, September 09, 2007

Greek Caponata

Yummy Blend of Flavors!

This is another inspiration form a Giada DiLaurauntiis recipe.

I happened to have most of the ingredients on hand and decided to give it a try. I changed the recipe a bit, as usual.

I added in peppers because I had these gorgeous purple peppers that I picked up at a local farm. I had never seen them before and just had to try them! This recipe seemed like the perfect place for them. I also added chic peas to the mix for some added protein!


Greek Caponata
(Adapted from Giada DiLaurentiis recipe)

1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with their juice

2 zucchini, cut into 1-inch rounds
1 summer squash, cut into 1-inch rounds

1 tomato, cut into wedges
1 medium/large eggplant, cut into 1-inch rounds
2 large shallots, peeled and cut into 1-inch wedges
1 potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
2 purple peppers, or whatever color you have
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped fine,
or one teaspoon of dried oregano
4 to 6 slices toasted italian bread, optional for main dish (This time I used homemade mini pizza rounds)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Pour the canned tomatoes into a 3 1/2-quart baking dish and spread to cover the bottom. In a large bowl combine the remaining ingredients (excluding the bread). Toss to coat. Pour the vegetables over the canned tomatoes in an even layer. Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove the foil and bake until the edges of the vegetables are golden, about 30 minutes.

Serve alone as a side, or over toasted bread for a main dish. This could also be used as a filling for calzones! Just a little mozzarella cheese and ooh la la!!

5 comments:

The Cookbook Junkie said...

That looks great. I've bought a few eggplants this summer but I never got around to making caponata, even though I had several recipes bookmarked. I think the season might be ending too.

Annie said...

I just grilled some this weekend. I will miss the fresh produce from the summertime.

Unknown said...

Unfortunately, the season is definitely ending...our farmer's market was so bad 2 weeks ago. This looks great though. What did the purple peppers taste like? I've seen some but haven't picked any up>

Annie said...

Claire, The peppers tasted like a cross between green and red peppers. They actually looked just like green peppers once they were cooked!

Emily said...

I like the mini pizza rounds; they're cute.