Monday, July 16, 2007

Angel Food Cake with Strawberries and Blueberries

I love light fruit desserts in the summer. They are so refreshing and delicious.

The perfect compliment to fresh fruit, especially berries is angel food cake. It is fat free and so light and tasty. I just used a box mix for this but I am sort of curious about making one from scratch. Maybe next time!

If you remember in one of my previous posts I said I was going to look for a healthy alternative to Cool Whip. Well I found it. It's Soyatoo soy whip. It is made from soybeans and coconut oil and is fairly low in fat. I was excited when I found it because I've been using more soy milk lately and like it. So I figured this would be good as well.

I wasn't exactly swept off my feet when I tasted it. It wasn't aweful but it did sort of leave an odd after taste in my mouth. My niece said it reminded her of some kind of baby food, her daughter agreed.

Oh well, I guess I'll stick to light whipped cream for now unless anyone has any other ideas for me!

2 comments:

The Cookbook Junkie said...

I say use a small bit of real whipped cream instead of anything with additives. Or, you can supposedly whip evaporated skim milk if it's cold enough and you have something powerful to whip it with. I don't think it would last very long (I'm not sure if you could stabilize it with some gelatin or not).

Emily said...

I don't know, it sounds pretty good to me. I've been drinking soy milk lately, too. I think people expect it to taste exactly like milk, which it doesn't.