Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Something Different- and Sugar Free!

A Twist on the Old Stand By...

I love Grapenut Pudding, especially my Moms. She makes it all the time, the traditional way and with raisins. But being the adventurous type that I am, I decided to mix things up a bit and went a little crazy with it. I decided to make it sugar-free (using Splenda), low-fat and gave it an orange essence. It was actually pretty good, in a non-traditional sort of way.

First off let me say I am not a proponent of Splenda or any other sugar substitute. I really don't like using any artificial sweeteners (or artificial ingredients of any kind) in my cooking. But my mom was concerned at one point that she may not be able to have sugar in her diet and it got me thinking about sweet alternatives to some of her favorite recipes. So I gave it a try. It was pretty good and I didn't detect that "fake" sugar after taste that I detest.

All in all, if you don't have to limit your sugar intake, I wouldn't recommend using Splenda. Not because it tasted bad, but just because it isn't natural and the long term effects of these chemicals in our bodies (in my opinion and from what I have read) could be detrimental to our health. Using it once in a while, however, shouldn't hurt. So give it a try if you already have a box in the house.

Sugar-Free Orange Grapenut Pudding
(Double Recipe)

3 whole eggs and 2 egg whites (beaten)
4 cups of Simply Smart Fat-Free Milk*
1 cup Grapenuts
2/3 cups Splenda
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup raisins
Zest from one orange (optional)
Sprinkle of nutmeg

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix first six ingredients in a oven safe bowl or casserole. Sprinkle with nutmeg and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Bake for about one hour or until middle is set.
Serve warm or chilled with cream if desired.

*I'm not sure if regular skim milk would work as well. The fat-free Simply-Smart or Over the Moon brands work well because they are ultra-pasteurized and they have a creamier texture and taste. Plus, besides that fact that it's fat-free, it is better for you because it also contains 25% more protein than whole milk, 20% more calcium than whole milk, and is lower in cholesterol.

2 comments:

The Cookbook Junkie said...

Just last week I threw out a box of Grape-Nuts that I never got around to using. Of course now I'll see Grape-Nut recipes I want to make at every turn but after I waste something it takes me a while to purchase it again.

Anonymous said...

Grapenut pudding is very good,I made many times >Do not use skim milk after a few hours you will lot of water okey?Bambola.