Sunday, April 20, 2008

Tarragon Turkey Burgers

Hankering For a Hamburger?

Try turkey instead. Sometimes I get a hankering for something hearty and filling for dinner after a long day at work. One night I was seriously craving a big juicy burger. So I stopped at the market after work and bought some ground turkey. It is healthier than ground beef with less saturated fat and I just love it. I actually prefer it to beef now.

I wanted to flavor it with some fresh herbs, I was thinking the usual; basil or parsley. But when I went to grab a pack of basil, the fresh tarragon caught my eye. So I went with that instead. I thought it would really freshen and brighten the flavor of the burger. And it did. It is such a fresh flavor; it tastes a little like fennel to me. Kind of like licorice, only not as strong. Delicious!

Tarragon Turkey Burgers

1 pound lean ground turkey (I used dark meat, which is about 93% lean)
1 garlic clove, minced
1 egg white, beaten
2 tablespoons grated Parmigiano Regiano cheese, or parmesan
1/4 cup flavored bread crumbs
2-3 tablespoons fresh finely chopped tarragon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
4 light hamburger buns, toasted lightly on grill

Preheat broiler.
  1. Mix together egg white, garlic, tarragon, parmigiano cheese, salt, pepper and breadcrumbs in a medium bowl. Add the ground turkey and mix until evenly blended. (Do not over work the meat or it will be tough when cooked).
  2. Form into 4 equal size patties.
  3. Broil burgers about 6 inches from element for about 5-6 minutes per side or until no longer pink in the center. (180 degrees on an instant read thermometer).
  4. Place each burger atop a toasted bun. Top with a slice of fresh tomato if desired.

No comments: