Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Peas and Proscuitto

Foolproof...

This is such a great recipe.
And who doesn't have frozen peas? It is quick and easy and delicious. You almost can't screw it up. I can assure of that because I thought I did and it still turned out good.

I knew I wanted to make this recipe, so I went out and bought the prosciutto. I had all the other ingredients needed for the recipe. So I thought.

Little did I know that the bag of peas in my freezer were nearly a year old. Well it was too late to abort; I had everything prepared up to the point of adding the peas. So I rinsed the peas under cold water and hoped for the best.

As I was cooking the peas, I got distracted with income tax stuff that I was trying to figure out. Well I started to hear popping and jumped up to find my peas starting to get dark brown.
I thought for sure the dish was ruined, but NO, it was actually still edible!

I can't wait to make it again with new peas and my undivided attention!


Peas and Proscuitto
by Giada De Laurentiis

2 tablespoons olive oil
3 shallots, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 (1-pound) bag frozen peas, thawed
4 ounces (1/8-inch-thick slices) prosciutto, diced
1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves


Heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the shallots, garlic, salt, and pepper, and saute until tender, about 1 minute. Add the peas and saute until heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir in the prosciutto and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the parsley and remove from the heat. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper, and serve.

6 comments:

Emily said...

Be careful with your peas!

Mmm, this sounds delicious. I like peas quite a bit. Except I think canned peas are gross.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Prosciutto makes almost any vegetable better! :)

Deborah Eley De Bono said...

I agree with susan but for some reason peas love that little salty crunch.

Jen said...

nope

Anonymous said...

Peas and prosciutto is really a very tasty side dish,the only thing to do do not leave them alone.bambola

cube said...

giada loves her peas.