Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Roasted Green Beans with Leeks and Walnuts

My New Candy Fix!!!

I am hooked on these green beans. My inspiration for this recipe came from Cooks Illustrated. They have a recipe for Roasted Green Beans with Red Onion and Walnuts and it sounded really good. So I tried it with leeks (my onion of choice), changed the cooking method slightly(to get softer beans) and now I can't stop making it.

One night I actually ate the whole recipe myself. It is like candy to me. Which is good I guess. It is healthier to eat an entire tray of green beans than a tray of chocolate! Try it, and let me know if you are hooked as well.

Roasted Green Beans with Leeks and Walnuts

Serves 4 (unless you're like me~serves one)
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves or 1/2 teaspoon dried
2 medium cloves garlic, thin sliced
1 pound green beans, stem ends snapped off
1 large leek, cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges
1 tablespoon olive oil

Coarse sea salt and ground black pepper
1/3 cup chopped walnuts (toasted)


1. Combine vinegar, honey, thyme, and garlic in small bowl; set aside.

2. Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 450 degrees. Line rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil; spread beans and leeks on baking sheet. Drizzle with oil; using hands, toss to coat evenly. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt, toss to coat, and distribute in even layer. Cover with another sheet of aluminum foil and roast 15 minutes or until soft.

3. Remove baking sheet from oven. Using tongs, coat beans and onion evenly with vinegar/honey mixture; redistribute in even layer. Continue roasting until onions and beans are dark golden brown in spots and beans have started to shrivel, 8 to 10 minutes longer.

4. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper and toss well to combine. Transfer to serving dish, sprinkle with walnuts, and serve. (Or you can eat them right from the pan, I won't tell if you don't).

1 comment:

Emily said...

I think it sounds brilliant. I don't think most people think to roast green beans. I love having nuts in there, so you get a little crunch.