Sunday, May 20, 2007

Bok Choy, I wish I liked it.

I tried to like it...

I saw this recipe on Healthy Appetite with Ellie Krieger. It looked really good and the health benefits of bok choy, including lots of calcium, enticed me to try it. I'm not sure if I didn't like the recipe or if I just don't like bok choy. I'd like to give it another chance, so if you have any really good recipes let me know.

Sesame Stir-Fried Chinese Greens

Copyright, 2006, Ellie Krieger, All rights reserved

2 teaspoons canola oil
2 pounds baby bok choy
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil (I didn't have any so I omitted it)
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds

In a wok or large frying pan heat the oil over high heat until very hot. Add the bok choy and stir-fry until they begin to soften slightly, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the soy sauce, vinegar and sesame oil and cook until just done, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, never thought that bak choy would be a acquired taste for some. Krieger's recipes definetely looks fancy but I don't think most Chinese would it eat that way. We normally stir-fry it with garlic and S&P (soy sauce works well too), quite simple and yummy if you're a fan of sauteeed greens (e.g., string beans, broccoli rabe, sauteed kale). Good luck!

Sara said...

I love bok choy, but I am struggling to think of how I cook it. Usually chopped up in stir fries I think. I would try again with a different sauce, I don't like the sound of that one.

Annie said...

Harvey, the garlic and salt/pepper is probably the best bet, sometimes simpler is better. Thanks.

Sara, Stir-frying it with other veggies is also a great idea-maybe it was the sauce that through me off. I'll give it another try. Thanks.

Joey Lawler said...

I'm with you on the Bok Choy. I have never been able to make decent Asian food. I think it has to do with the ingredients you need on hand to make it taste authentic. And it's very easy to overcook the stuff as well.