Sunday, March 11, 2007

I think I got a bad cut of meat.

This would have been really tasty...

I was really excited about trying this recipe for pork tenderloin that I saw in Cooking Light magazine. I book marked the page and waited for a sale. Bingo, this week it went on sale and I bought my first pork tenderloin. It only weighed about 3/4 pound, but that was plenty since I was only cooking for two.
The recipe seemed great, but the pork just did not come out right. Once cooked, the flesh seemed dark and not white like I've seen everyone else's pork tenderloin turn out. It also was not tender, in fact, it was quite tough to chew. I know I didn't over cook it, because I used my probe thermometer and with the carry over cooking included, it registered 162 degrees. It was a big disappointment. There is no explanation of what happened, so I can only wonder if it was a bad cut of meat.
I will try it again, because the flavor of the seasoning was pretty darn good.

Mustard Herb-Crusted Pork Tenderloin

Recipe by Cooking Light magazine

1 (1/2 ounce) slice white bread (I used wheat since it was all I had)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
3 tablespoons grated fresh Romano cheese
2 teaspoons fresh thyme (I used 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme)
1 (1 pound) pork tenderloin, trimmed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed (I used finely ground anise seed)
1 garlic clove, minced (I grated mine very fine on my microplane)
Cooking spray (I used non-stick aluminum foil)

Preheat oven to 450 degrees

Place slice of bread in a food processor, and pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs measure 1/4 cup. Combine the breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup chopped parsley, cheese, and 2 teaspoons thyme in a shallow dish. Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper. Combine Dijon mustard, fennel seeds, and garlic in a small bowl. Rub pork with mustard mixture, and dredge in breadcrumb mixture.

Place pork on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 450 degrees for 25 minutes or until a thermometer registers 160 degrees (slightly pink). Let stand for 10 minutes. Cut crosswise into 1/4 inch thick slices. Yield: 4 servings (serving size 3 ounces pork).

I hope yours turns out better than mine! Good Luck!

3 comments:

The Cookbook Junkie said...

I have pork tenderloin on the menu this week too - it was BOGO free last week.

I've made it plenty of times and pork tenderloin is a bit darker than the meat from the pork loin. It's usually very tender so I'm surprised your's came out tough. I usually buy Hatfield, which is in a 'solution' which helps it stay tender.

maltese parakeet said...

you really need to try brining for your pork tenderloin. it makes it so juicy and tender. you will really notice the difference. soak in for at least a few hours in some salty water (i like adding some other flavors, like soy sauce in place of some of the salt and some peppercorns, ginger and 5-star anise). ming tsai has a pretty good recipe for the brine. it ends up looking a little pink, but don't worry it is done.

Anonymous said...

I want to try your next attempt.
Ps jen wont want any for some reason