Sunday, January 21, 2007

Chocolate-Dipped Almond Biscotti

I saved the best for last!

This is the probably the 5th Holiday that I made these biscotti and I think they are the best of my whole collection. There is something about the combination of almond, orange and chocolate that kills me every time! I think these are one of my brother's favorites as well. I send him a batch almost every year.

The recipe came from an insert in Family Circle magazine, featuring their top 10 recipes. I can see why this one was listed!

Chocolate-Dipped Almond Biscotti

Ingredients
1 cup slivered almonds
1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon grated orange rind (I used the rind of one whole orange)
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 pound bittersweet chocolate, chopped

Directions
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Spread almonds evenly on baking sheet.
2. Toast almonds at 375 degrees F for 4 to 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool. Coarsely chop.
3. Mix together flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl.
4. Beat together butter and sugar in medium-size bowl until creamy. Beat in egg, yolk, vanilla, rind and almond extract.
5. Stir flour mixture into butter mixture to form dough. Stir in almonds.
6. Place dough on a baking sheet. Shape into 11 x 4-inch log. If too soft, refrigerate to firm.
7. Bake in 375 degree F oven for 15 to 18 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove log to cutting board. Let stand until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes.
8. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F.
9. Using serrated knife, cut log crosswise on a slight angle into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Carefully transfer to baking sheet, a cut side down.
10. Bake in 325 degree F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden (I only leave them for about 5-7 minutes). With spatula, transfer biscotti to wire rack to cool. Makes 24 biscotti.

Hope you like them, I know I did!!

2 comments:

wheresmymind said...

man...everyone has made biscotti in the past 3 months!

Anonymous said...

No I did not make the biscotti but Annie made it for me they are delicious,bambola.